To achieve a fairly good-looking facsimile of film (from video footage) in Final Cut Pro, do the following:
- Colour-correct your existing clip with the 3-way CC filter.
- Add de-interlace filter (upper/odd) to this clip.
- Duplicate the clip and place it above.
- In the new layer, change the field dominance to (lower/even)
- Reduce opacity of top layer to about 50% (in Motion tab)
- From Video Filters, choose Glow effect, Bloom for slight gauze effect.
- Set Amount to about 6, Brightness to 70, Threshold to 75.
- Re-colour-correct both layers.
- Add small amount of Gaussian Noise to lower layer (in Screen mode), mix to taste.
- Bask in glory of your genius and hide from the DOP, whose work you just cocked up.
Note, De-interlace gives you the pseudo-flicker; everything else gives you the tonality.