Jun 23, 2009

You'd better not pout !


It's Free Portrait Day!

If you're in the neighbourhood this evening, come check out the Party In The Park in Mimico and get a down and dirty portrait from your truly. It's free... for me to take it. If you actually want it, you'll have to donate $10 to breast cancer research. Hey, fair's fair.

The "photo booth" consists of one rented backdrop kit (courtesy of Headshots in Toronto), and a mess of speedlights — a nod to Strobist Boot Camp II.

The idea came from a great posting I read on The Online Photographer, where Scott Streble spent a day taking free portraits of people, many of whom who were recently downsized.

Anyway, come on by, look for the flash pops, and lay down a sawbuck for the sisters.

UPDATE: due to strike-related snafu, the party has been relocated just north of the original location (Mimico Memorial Park) — to the field behind John English Middle School. You'll see signs.


2 comments:

Leo Neves said...

I've been trying to think of something like that for ages. Like, making my photography worth of something bigger and better (faster, stronger... just kidding) than money, or cheers.

I just fell into my routine and packed this thoughts in a little blue box. Maybe it is time to open the box again. I dont like photographing something or someone just because it is beaultiful, or interesting, or money rewarding. It must mean something.

I mean, of course we have to do some jobs. We need to feed our family after all. But photographing ONLY for money freaks me out.

Thanks for posting this.

Andy Frazer said...

I've been working with a local food bank to do Family Holiday Portraits of families who rely on the food bank for assistance. The food bank takes care of signing up the visitors, and they lend me the room. I bring in my SpeedLites, umbrellas, camera, etc, I shoot the portraits, and upload them to Costco for low-cost printing. I paid for the prints the first time, but I hope line up a corporate sponsor next time.

The first time around I was hoping I'd be lucky to sign up a full schedule of 16 families. It turns out 218 families signed up, and the case workers had to do a lottery to select the lucky 18 winners.

I highly recommend it. It's great practice, and you're doing something good for a lot of people.

-Andy