Jul 16, 2009

Apollo 11... Starbuck 0


Some thoughts on the 40th Anniversary of that really expensive footprint...
  • I did a speech on Apollo 11 in grade six. Only ten years had elapsed, but it already seemed older than Dick Clark. Oh yeah, playing a cassette tape of the audio trimmed one minute off my script. Yesss!

  • Bonus! (also in spring of 1979): The final episode of the original Battlestar Galactica airs. In it, Apollo and Starbuck narrowly miss receiving transmission of the Apollo 11 moon landing. Would have been creepy for Apollo to hear his name on the radio, huh?

  • I'd watch the original footage any day of the week over Apollo 13. It was a fun movie and all, but not something I need to see again; mostly because the CGI was anticlimactic. Remember that fiery separation ring between the 1st and 2nd stage? Not even close, Ron.

  • Hey, hoax-guys. How's that life-long virginity playing out for ya?

  • When Michael Collins was orbiting the Moon, he became the world record-holder for the furthest one human has been removed from other humans. Until Michael Richards took the title several years later.

  • I know it was slightly more than just a jinjoistic whzzing-contest, but I still don't think I could look a Darfurian refugee in the eye and say, "You know, we played golf up there? Pretty amazing, huh?"

  • Neil... how's that life-long "sex-with-anybody-I-want" thing playing out for ya?

  • Umm, Ken Rockwell... easy on the "we-haven't-accomplished-much-since-Apollo" thing. You do realize you're making a living on that "internet" thing, right?

  • It still kinda bugs my ass that the mission was named after a Sun-god, but I guess we're never landing there.

  • I love the fact that the boys left their dusty moon-boots outside the LEM before going inside and taking off. Their moms must have been proud.

No comments: